Bright, delicious and healthy, these pan-grilled lime and coriander chicken thighs work wonderfully whether you are looking to cook up a quick weeknight dinner or planning a barbeque over the weekend. These cook up just as easily on the grill as do in a pan. Options are limitless with this one; they are great over salads, with rice, in taco and burritos; just have them marinated and waiting or cooked and ready in the fridge for when hunger strikes.
Ingredients (serves 2-4):
Chicken and the marinade:
- 400 grams of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of lime juice and zest of a lime
- 1/4 cup of a bunch coriander leaves; stems ground or minced for the marinade and leaves for garnish
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 square inch of ginger, grated for heat and flavour
- A drizzle of oil
For frying and garnish:
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
- Green onion or chives, thinly sliced
- Add the salt, lime juice and zest, ground coriander stocks, onion powder, grated ginger and a tiny drizzle of oil into a wide dish and stir to combine well.
- Add in the chicken and marinate until all of the pieces are coated well.
- Let it soak in the flavours for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
- If refrigerated, let the chicken rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before pan-frying.
- When you are ready, place a wide pan on high heat and pour in the oil.
- When the oil is hot, place the pieces of chicken ensuring to not crowd the pan to avoid stewing.
- Fry for 12 to 14 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes on medium high heat; they should be cooked through in about 12- 14 minutes but feel free to check so using a meat thermometer. The chicken is ready when the internal temperature of the thickest piece should be 165 F or 74-75C.
- At about the 12th minute, add in the garlic and toss quickly to ensure they touch the pan and start to sizzle.
- In 20 seconds, add in the green onions and toss to brown quickly to release the flavours.
- Add in the coriander leaves after another 30 -40 seconds and toss until the leaves wilt slightly.
- Serve with a big green salad for low carb dinner or with my lime and coriander rice with beans for a delicious weeknight treat.