This Lime and Coriander Rice with Beans is vegan, tasty, nutritious and great for meal prep. Enough said 🙂
Ingredients (serves 4 to 6)
- 1-2 tbsp of oil
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of coriander leaves, stems minced to use earlier in the cooking and leaves saved for later
- 1/ 2 tsp sugar
- 250 grams of Basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp of ground pepper or chilli powder
- About 250 – 300 grams of precooked or canned beans of an variety; I have used a mix of pinto beans and white kidney beans here but all varieties of beans and chickpeas work just as well
- 540 ml of warm vegetable stock; you can use a veggie stock cube or even another 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt along with other seasonings and spices
- Juice of 1/2 lime. The flavour of the dish is well-rounded and mellow; for added zingy freshness, add another spoon of two without altering the amount of stock or squeeze in some lime as you mix in the herbs once everything is cooked
- Zest of 1 lime; you can add more if you prefer
- 100-200 grams of frozen peas; you can add sweet corn, chopped carrots etc as well
- 1-2 mild or hot chillies; finely minced; discard the seeds to make it milder
- 1-2 tbsp of finely sliced spring onions or chives; mint would also be wonderful and would add a different and complimentary flavour to the dish.
- Place a pan on medium heat and pour in the oil.
- Once warm, add in the fennel and cumin seeds and fry until aromatic and golden.
- Add in your onions and salt and sauté until softened.
- Add in the garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add in the coriander stocks and sauté for a minute until the flavours release.
- Pour in the sugar and sauté stirring often until slightly caramelised.
- Add in the drained rice and sauté gently over medium low heat until most of the moisture evaporates and the grains are oil slicked.
- Add in the pepper or chilli powder and stir to combine.
- Add in the beans and stir carefully to combine.
- Pour in the warm stock or seasoned water, the lime zest, lime juice and peas and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on and let in simmer on medium low heat for 15 to 20 mins.
- Turn the heat off and add in the minced chillis, herbs and coriander and stir gently with a fork to combine and fluff up the delicate rice.
- Place the lid back on until ready to serve.
- Serve with a salad or/and any protein of your choice and enjoy 🙂