This roasted cauliflower and sweet potato salad is and will probably always be one of my favourite veggie sides. Vegan, fresh, flavourful and filling, my roasted cauliflower and sweet potato salad is quite versatile and can be served with any protein, in wraps, over steamed or pilaf rice or just own its own. In fact, I find it quite refreshing as an afternoon snack; its packed full of healthy ingredients while delivering wonderfully in terms on taste, flavour and crunch that makes it quite a treat.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 -3 tbsp of sugar
- 2-3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of about 1/2 a lime
- 2-3 mild chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 red onions, finely sliced
- A generous pinch of salt
- The stalks of mint (optional)
- The stalks of coriander (optional)
- 1 small head of cauliflower (or half of a large one) along with all of the outer leaves chopped into bite-sized florets; I like to use the stock and the leaves as well
- 2 medium (or 1 large) sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- Freshly chilli powder, I like to use 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp of coriander or cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt and a generous pinch
- A pinch of ground pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp of any cooking oil of your choice
Toppings and garnish
- A handful of roasted peanuts or any other kind of nuts and seeds of your choice; I use about 40 grams
- A handful of coriander leaves
- A handful of mint leaves, torn into pieces
- Place the sugar, grated garlic, lime zest and juice and extra virgin oil into a large bowl and mix well to make a sweet and sour dressing.
- Add in the minced chillis to the dressing and mix well.
- Slice the onion finely and add a generous pinch of salt.
- Crush slightly to separate the petals of onion and to yield the juices.
- Add to the dressing and set aside to sweat and marinate.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C fan.
- Now, prepare your veggies by placing them on a baking sheet; set aside the tender leaves of the cauliflower to roast later.
- Prepare the spice blend by mixing in the salt, cumin/ coriander, chilli powder, turmeric powder and the oil in a bowl and pour over the veggies.
- Mix well to coat, spread in a single layer and roast at 180C for 20 mins.
- While the veggies are roasting, taste the dressing and adjust with more lime juice, sugar and another pinch of salt as needed.
- Preparing the herbs and finely mince the stalks and add to the dressing if you prefer.
- Once the first 20 mins are up, add the cauliflower leaves and gently toss with the roasted veggies and roast for another 5 mins.
- Once done, gently toss with the oniony dressing, mint leaves, coriander and roasted peanuts.
- Serve warm or at room temperature on its own or with some proteins for a light, nutritious and enjoyable meal.