A perfectly seasoned piece of pork served with beautifully caramelized and spicy potato wedges is a treat fit for any occasion. It comes together in 40 – 45 minutes combining comforting familiarity with the excitement of the unexpected. Serve with a tall glass of child beer or soda and tuck in; it is sure to bring you joy whether are celebrating a special occasion with your loved ones or bringing in the weekend with a bit of decadence over some good old Netflix.
Ingredients for 2
- 2 pork shoulder steaks of 150 to 180 grams each; about 1-1.5 inch thick
- A drizzle of oil (about 2 tsp to marinate the steaks and 1 tbsp for the potatoes)
- 2 tsp to 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce ( half for marinating the steaks and the rest for the honey sriracha sauce.
- 2 baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
- Salt to taste; I use about 1/4 tsp
- 1tsp of onion powder
- 1 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of runny honey
- 2 tbsp of sriracha sauce
- A glove of garlic, minced or grated
- A mix of veggies of your choice; I like crisp quick cook veggies such as mange-tout, bell peppers, carrots and baby corn here
- A pinch or two of sesame seeds
- Lots of finely sliced chives or spring onions
- Preheat the oven to 200 C fan with grill.
- Drizzle a tsp or two of oil and soy sauce each onto the pork steaks, mix well to combine and let them absorb the flavours while we get the potatoes started.
- Cut the potatoes into thick wedges (about 8 -12 per potato), soak in water for 2- 5 minutes to wash off the excess starch and then dry thoroughly using paper towels.
- Drizzle a tbsp of oil on the potatoes wedges and mix well to coat.
- Add the onion power and 2/3rd of the salt and the all purpose flour and mix well to combine.
- Place on a lined baking sheet without over crowding and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing sriracha sauce, honey, garlic and the rest of the soy sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- Clean and prep the vegetables of your choice and set aside.
- Place the pan over high heat and while it gets hot, take the potato wedges out of the oven after the first 20 minutes, flip carefully. Place it back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Immediately after, drizzle a bit of oil into the pan and add a pinch of salt over the steaks.
- While the oil is hot, pan fry the steaks in a hot pan placing the seasoned side down and quickly season the other side; be sure to leave behind as much of the marinade as possible.
- Pan fry for a total of 16- 18 minutes until cooked through turning every 1-2 minute; make sure that the pan is on high heat for the first 3- 4 minutes after which reduce to medium heat.
- When the 15 minutes (or a total of 35 minutes) are up, drizzle 2/3rds of the sauce onto the wedges and carefully toss to coat and bake in the oven at 200 C for another 5 – 8 minutes.
- Once the steaks are done, let them rest and add in the veggies into the pan.
- Pour in the rest of the sauce onto the veggies and stir fry on medium high heat for a few minutes until the veggies are crisp ands yet, cooked though.
- Garnish with lots of chives and perhaps, some sesame seeds and serve immediately.