Comforting, filling and nourishing, this creamy and yet, bright chicken pasta is sure to deliver when I crave something that feels like a treat after a busy day at work. It packs a healthy dose of protein and veggies and warms me with its slurpy goodness without feeling too heavy. While I wouldn’t call it light; I have used double cream here, it can be altered to suit your dietary needs. Use single cream if you want it lighter or add more cream or perhaps, some grated cheese if you’d like it rich and indulgent. You serve it as you please:) Either way, this creamy chicken pasta with mushrooms and greens will fill your belly and warm your soul.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 160 to 170 grams of pasta; I love linguine or spaghetti
- 300 grams of chicken thighs, diced into 1 square inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt; you may need another pinch or so, taste and adjust when you are almost done
- 1 tbsp of oil
- White part of 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced; you could use finely diced white or brown onions
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp of tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp of paprika powder; I like the smoked kind; you could use crushed pepper or chilli flakes
- 160 – 200 grams of button or chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 50 – 60 grams of greens of any variety; I like kale, Cavolo Nero, green beans or brocolli
- 2-3 tbsp of double cream; use about 4 if you are using single cream
- I have used the top of green onions, finely sliced; you could use chives instead, parsley would be nice as well
- Add onion powder and a bit of the salt the chicken, mix to combine and set aside.
- Place a wide pan on high heat and pour in the oil.
- When the oil is hot, place the pieces of chicken and brown on both side; be sure to not crowd the pan to avoid stewing.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per packet instructions until al-dente and set aside; remember to save about a 1/4 cup of pasta water for the sauce later.
- Once beautifully seared, reduce the heat, add in the salt and the sliced white of green onions/ diced white or brown onion and sauté stirring every once in a while to soften and caramelise.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for a minute or so stirring every once in a while to soften and caramelise slightly.
- Add in the tomato paste, stir to combine and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, mix well and place the lid back on.
- Stirring every once in a while, cook until the mushrooms start to sweat and soften slightly.
- Add the paprika powder, stir and cook for a minute.
- Add in the greens, mix to combine and place the lid pack on.
- Cook stirring every once in a while until the mushrooms, chicken and greens have cooked through.
- Pour in the cream, mix to combine and let it bubble away on medium heat for a minute or two.
- Add in the cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Add in the pasta water and stir until the sauce is thick and glossy and coats the pasta, chicken and veggies well.
- Add in the finely sliced green onion, parsley or/and chives and stir to combine.
- Serve on its own or with some garlic bread for a quick weeknight treat.