My crispy popcorn chicken are perfect for dinner after a busy workday. Healthy, delicious and easy to make, I love serving them with my fresh veggie salad for a quick and satisfying meal. They also work wonderfully as a snack served alone or with fries or/ and onion rings and crudité; they are always a hit on movie nights.
Ingredients (For 2 portions)
For popcorn chicken:
- 300 g of chicken thighs cut in 1 inch pieces
- A heaped 1/4 tsp of salt; (roughly about 1/4 tsp and a pinch)
- A heaped 1/4 tsp teaspoon of chilli powder; (roughly about 1/4 tsp and a pinch)
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder; (roughly about 1/4 tsp and a pinch)
- 3/4 tsp of dried herbs of your choice; I love a blend of parsley and oregano
- A clove of garlic, grated
- Zest from1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 50 grams of breadcrumbs or 50 grams (usually a thick cut slice) of lightly toasted bread
- A pinch of turmeric for colour; roughly about 1/8 of a tsp
For the dip:
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
- About 1 tsp of lime juice
- Preheat the oven at 190° C.
- Add 2/3rds of the salt, chilli powder, dried herbs and onion powder to the chicken saving a little of each to mix with the breadcrumbs.
- Add in all of the garlic, lime zest and the oil, mix well and set it aside.
- If you have ready-made breadcrumbs, mix in the rest of the dried herbs and spices, and the turmeric. Alternatively, place the toast and rest of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you get slightly coarse breadcrumbs.
- Place half of the breadcrumbs on a white plate and place the pieces of chicken on on it.
- For the rest on top and press to coat well.
- Pleace the chicken on a wide baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-23 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the dip and set aside.
- Enjoy immediately on its own as a snack or with salad and some carbs for lunch/ dinner!